Monday, July 25, 2011

It's the physiological symptoms that tell me I've had enough


When at work I am overwhelmed at the number of details I am required to look after. There are so many I could not even list them here.  I check contract drawings against factory drawings, factory drawings against other factory drawings to make sure mating equipment, can, er, mate.  Endless checking is required to make sure every item on an order is correct, and an order may have hundreds of items. IT SUCKS!

Adding to the insurmountable mountain of details is a computer system that requires its own pampering .  One must check the computer to make sure everything matches up, then check the computer again, since sometimes the computer automatically changes things for reasons that can only be explained by someone in IT, but in no way make sense to a human trying to get work done. These are called ‘glitches’. THESE WILL HAUNT YOU FOREVER!

I used to think it was just my particular industry, but after working Saturday’s at the vets I’m convinced it’s everywhere. Recently I was confronted about a pricing error in the computer system that had been passed on to a customer. I was charged with being negligent because I should have caught the computer error. I can think of a list of reasons why this wasn’t particularly my fault, but whatever, when you are confronted it’s all over. ASSIGNING BLAME IS SOMETHING PEOPLE DO WHO CANNOT ACCEPT THAT SHIT HAPPENS!

Detailed paper documentation -> detailed computer files -> ever vigilant for computer glitches -> repeat.

Note to self: next job, make sure it does not require the cycle above. It is impossible and will make you crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment