Monday, July 18, 2011

It shows what happens when you ask too much of a limited resource: it disappears.

             From Why the Colorado River Stopped Flowing, as heard by me on All Things Considered on NPR.

Wow. I'm really trying to keep up appearances. Work is killing me. One co-worker left in March, then the other left mid-June. I'm all that is left of my job description. It is my understanding that the lapse in hiring replacements is a money saving measure, standard procedure. A replacement has been hired and starts August 3rd. So I only need to survive two more weeks.

If only it were only the two weeks. I work managing projects, and lately we have started many new projects. As any project manager can tell you, the early work is the most important. I have, I don't know, about 10 projects that will last a year or two that are all getting off to a very bad start. The repercussions will probably reverberate for years, long beyond the life-span of this next new chick starting August 3rd. Yahoo, I'm sure I'll still be around, mopping up the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment