I was going to post about my hard-working ass, but as I sit outside on the deck, I notice the neighbor kid out on her roof.
It makes me optimistic about the future.
Of the three homes I can see stretching across the end of the yard, I've seen kids on all. In a neighborhood of tiny yards, too many people and not enough privacy the kids figured this one out. On their roofs they talk and play and observe without interruption.
I know the schools around here are not great, their parents probably work all hours, their teachers probably think they are all delinquents. And a portion of them most likely are.
But a few will break out, and go somewhere, and see a different world where they'll learn and grow and acquire sophisticated tastes. Survival multiplies in their gut. And someday, when they're making some money and can go visit a posh restaurant any time they want, they'll remember....a little patch of roof, hovering above an itty bitty yard, beneath the airport's approach path, on a humid summer's night ....
No comments:
Post a Comment