Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Disconnected Christmas thoughts

Why can't one opt out of Christmas?

I throw away Christmas cards as soon as I get them.

I haven't sent Christmas cards in at least 5 years.

Years ago I realized I am not a Christian. The family seems fine with that, but you can't opt out of Christmas. No, can't do that. Still gotta buy gifts and eat and bring with you some holiday cheer. Otherwise you might as well opt out of the family altogether.

Why can't people who really love Christmas keep it to themselves? Why does there have to be music and commercials all over the damn place?

When a friend gives me a gift, and I know she's in debt and is underwater in her mortgage, is that really a gift? If she didn't give me a gift, I wouldn't give her a gift, but she keeps doing it each year, so I keep responding.

My husband and I never exchange gifts, ever. Not for Christmas or birthdays or anniversaries. And we are both fine, no not fine, thrilled with that. But it really freaks other people out. They think we could not possibly love each other without buying each other gifts. That freaks me out.

The in-laws do a consumer Christmas. Straight-up consumer Christmas, no church, no games, no traditions, the food is not especially good, but they love it. I don't. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Is it gift giving/receiving if you have to make sure not to buy yourself anything for 6 weeks prior to the holiday to ensure you don't buy yourself what somebody has already wrapped you for a gift?

We are not wealthy by any standards, the in-laws especially are below average income I'm sure. But they nor we are not lacking in anything. There is not one thing they do without.  And none of them have even graduated from high school. Yet they complain they do not have enough. It makes my head spin.

You know the reason there are third world nations? Because they do not have a holiday where everyone in the country buys everyone they know a gift. That's the secret to capitalism, Christmas.

I want out, I've given up the religion, I never send cards, I don't decorate. I've wittled it down to very few people I buy gifts for, yet I cannot completely extract myself with at the same time extracting myself from society. It appears the only way to completely rid yourself of the day is to be born of non-Christian parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment