Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Winner takes All

The world is a crazy place.

So many minute details seem so important at the time, and after a few steps back, they are minor. Some even ridiculous.

Yesterday I sent out a report to a customer and today he called and said some of it was wrong. After investigating a couple of minutes I realized I had used some portions from an old, incorrect report and thought it was part of the newer report. I had re-done a majoriy of it before sending it out, but I had thought this older part was still correct, and it wasn't.

What made me more frustrated, was that two versions ago, the part that was now wrong, was right. So I copied from two versions ago and pasted it into the new report, supplanting the one version ago part that was wrong.

If anyone else were to read this would any of this make sense? Probably not, and after I was mad at myself, tried to explain myself (sounding crazier than the above) I just relented and decided, you know what, this just isn't important. Make the revision (all required due to customer error and revisions on their part anyways) and move on. All the excuses and reasonable explanations in the world do not matter. Move on.

And that's the insanity of work. And it's never going to end. Victory one day (if you're lucky) will only be followed up by unrelenting failure and disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment