About a month now I have been checking out a certain blog daily. It is a "professional' blog written by a woman with "credentials" (apparently) in the career advice arena and she has 57,000+ subscribers. The writing is easy to read, thoughtful, short enough to read during a lunch break and leaves you with a small nugget of an idea, then still have time to check my bank account, eat my lunch, and bull-shit with a co-worker. Sometimes I will jot down little notes to myself while reading her blog and then look at them later as an attempt to "improve" my working self.
I was slightly hesitant to make this blog a habit as the author could be a lunatic. It's the comments that really disturb me however. Really jolly, agreeable, comments just to comment. I don't like it; the whole "read this and then see what other people had to say about it". I like that for on-line recipes, book reviews, reviews of stuff I'm going to buy...and that is it. I don't like thoughtful ideas to be critiqued by the internet public. Because I don't trust people. So when I read the comments it would start me questioning the whole blog and if it was even worth spending any time reading it at all. So I say, self, just compartmentalize this puppy, read the blog and garner what you can from it, skip the the comments.
Simply not reading the comments was working out until the lady-blogger linked to another chick's blog. And this chick has nothing on the lady-blogger. For some dumb reason I clicked on the link Well the link goes to this blog that has been created by a self aggrandizing, spoiled, say nothing. Quite astonishing. Why would the lady-blogger link to such an atrocious self-advertisement? The question is, are birds of a feather flocking together?
This event upset me. I'm still reading the blog, but I'm full of doubt when I'm doing it. It has ruined it for me. The final question is is the problem with the lady-blogger or with me? Am I able to sift for gold without becoming obsessed with the silt? I shall continue to ponder.
No comments:
Post a Comment