Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day

This week I learned that my neice, who is a senior in high school, has decided to forego college in order to enlist.

Bad move, bad bad move I say. Now, having opinions about the armed forces is very dicey, it's like having opinions on race relations, it's not discussed in polite company and there are attitudes that you must exude while in public. Like "I support our troops", "thank you for your sacrifice" and do not, DO NOT say anything derogatory about the military or you are sure to get an earful. I tend to ride the middle and just don't think about the military too much.

But when my niece told me her decision, with every firing of my brain synapses I was devising arguments to persuade her otherwise. To me it is a step backward from which she may never recover. All my firing synapses could not come up with an influential reason that she agreed with however.

I'm just going to have to let it go, you can't direct someone elses life. And I'm driving the husband bonkers with my ranting. So I've given myself a self-imposed deadline of Thanksgiving. After that day I will not get myself worked about this, I will not.

But between now and then I'm going to give it a heck of a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment