Friday, March 4, 2011

One of the few Epiphanies of my Life

We were at the front desk chatting, while the vet was in an exam room with the dog and it's owner. There are close to two decades between us, but we were working harmoniously, both focused on our goal of getting home early.

Lynn was chatty. She was conflicted as always, testing the waters to get somebody's approval.  I was both honored that she would want my approval and felt I owed karma, as I did the same at her age.

Connie, a past co-worker whom Lynn had been spending an oddly large amount of time with, had called Lynn to let her know she was pissed since Lynn hadn't been spending enough time with her lately. Knowing what I know about Connie, I was thinking how it may be better for Lynn to stay away from Connie. Connie was divisive, bitter and on edge, about to fall into a canyon of craziness. For her part, Lynn had never seemed so together, her previous defensive nature mellowed, revealing a reasonable human being. She lamented, "I have a boyfriend and family, I don't have time for all her crap all the time."

"That's why I don't have any friends," I immediately responded.

Lynn raised her hand and we high-fived as she said, "Me either."

No comments:

Post a Comment