Words that have been used to describe me are, shy, introverted, and quiet. This past weekend while visiting my little nieces they gave me a "personality test" from one of their girlie books. One of the questions was, at a party are you talking to everybody or quiet in a corner, and I said quiet. Unbelieving, they both pealed out a REALLY?!
You see amongst 8 and 10 year old girls I am the LIFE of the party. I'm willing to do any silly thing to get a reaction from them and will do it almost anywhere. I once went out in public debuting about 20 little butterfly clips in my hair since the littlest one had styled it that way. When it comes to pleasing the kids, I'll do it all and with flair.
So what is it to be shy? Obviously shyness around strangers is more common than when hanging out with family. I'll venture a theory that shyness can accumulate over time after a series of negative reactions received from others. Like when people talk over you, or cut you off. Or when people are argumentative and treat every conversation as an opportunity to prove a point.
Of course the negativity can run in the opposite direction too, there is the guilt and embarrassment of letting yourself do too much talking. And you end up saying things you wish you hadn't and the mental filter goes up and your mouth shuts up.
Does that make you shy or wise?
You see amongst 8 and 10 year old girls I am the LIFE of the party. I'm willing to do any silly thing to get a reaction from them and will do it almost anywhere. I once went out in public debuting about 20 little butterfly clips in my hair since the littlest one had styled it that way. When it comes to pleasing the kids, I'll do it all and with flair.
So what is it to be shy? Obviously shyness around strangers is more common than when hanging out with family. I'll venture a theory that shyness can accumulate over time after a series of negative reactions received from others. Like when people talk over you, or cut you off. Or when people are argumentative and treat every conversation as an opportunity to prove a point.
Of course the negativity can run in the opposite direction too, there is the guilt and embarrassment of letting yourself do too much talking. And you end up saying things you wish you hadn't and the mental filter goes up and your mouth shuts up.
Does that make you shy or wise?
No comments:
Post a Comment