Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Stayed Home Today

Just emailed 'out' this morning and then read Brave New World. It was an ok book, I don't see what all the fuss is about though. It seemed kind of old-fashioned. I was not impressed with the way women generally were portrayed in the book either. I read it because in the local paper there was a hullabaloo about having high school kids read it. And I have to admit, after I read it I don't think I would be too pleased if my teenage child had to read this book either. The book does more to solidify out of date notions about women than it does to make the kids think about science and how it could affect society in the future. And why would a black kid even want to bother with the book? The book is best left where it began, in 1932.

Beyond all that though I'm glad a lay in bed all day and read. After reading it I journalled a little, the pen and paper way, then showered. Before coming downstairs it felt like I had a direction for the rest of the day. But the atmosphere in my head is hugely different between upstairs and downstairs. Downstairs the feelings of being lost just flood in from every direction. Upstairs is safe. Safe to plan and daydream and pretend. Downstairs too real, upstairs just enough removed.

Maybe I should walk v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y down the steps and see how many steps I can get upstairs head down.

1 comment:

  1. So after reading this post I realize I used the word "read" about 50 times. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete