When I was going through my buddhist phase, one of the things I struggled with was viewing the head Geshe-person as beyond question. For a beginning believer there are obvious advantages to thinking like this, don't have to worry about figuring out 2,500 years of text, just recognize that the formula delivered to you has been sifted, tested, and tweaked, it works so just follow it. I could go with it for a while, but then I would come up for air and wonder, "How do I make sure I don't participate in a group suicide?"
This season on Dancing with the Stars the judges said the same thing to the stars! Believe in your professional dancer and you will win this competition. Follow the Guru and obstacles will melt for you. Let the experienced one lead and feel peace on the way to success. Hmmm, interesting.
Then the Yahoo front page says one of the 'Secrets to Happiness at Work' is to just go along with your boss.
I'm starting to see a pattern. It's just bizarre to me that this idea has popped up in other areas outside religion. Bizarre.
No comments:
Post a Comment